In no particular order, here are surprising things one can do without the use of their non-dominant thumb.
- Push ups
- Roll out pie dough
- Drive a car (stick shift) AND talk on a cell phone without BlueTooth
- Lift weights (barbells and hand-held varieties)
- Knit (at reduced speed)
- Type (now referred to as keyboarding because, godforbid, any man would want to be associated with the word typist)
All of which contribute to the notion that anything is possible, along the lines of “if they can put a man on the moon, . . .”
How wrong. Here are things that I am finding near impossible to accomplish.
- Tie shoe strings
- Floss teeth (my own)
- Scrape out the contents of a bowl into another container
- Put on pantyhose
- Zip up coats and vests
- File nails on right hand
- Put those tiny rubber stops on the backs of earrings
I’m such a baby.